Obituary for Alan Dean Miller
Alan “Dean” Miller, age 92, went home to the Lord on January 26, 2018, in Aurora, Colorado. He was born in Electra, Texas, son of Warren Gerald Miller and Anna Bernice (Moore) Miller. He married Helen Wynelle (Wilkinson) Miller in 1946 in Big Spring, Texas. After her passing in 2004, he married the late Dorotha Lavon (Fisher) Miller in 2007 in Canon City, Colorado. He grew up in Big Spring and served in the Army Air Corp in the Philippines during World War II as a high speed radio operator. He earned degrees from Texas A&M University in 1948 in Landscape Architecture, and from University of New Mexico in 1954 in Civil Engineering.
Dean and his family lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico for 45 years where he was City Engineer, followed by a career at Zia Company in Los Alamos as Division Manager-Chief Engineer, and later the University of California as Design Engineer-Construction Manager. He owned an engineering consulting business for subdivision and structural design. He was a Boy Scout Master, President of the American Society of Civil Engineers (New Mexico) and President of the State Water Supply and Pollution Control Association.
Dean and Wynelle moved to Canon City in 1994. They were active members of the First United Methodist Church, serving and teaching. Dean met Dorotha in Canon City through the church, where she actively served, as well. Dean also volunteered with the Gideon’s and often shared his faith. He enjoyed traveling, camping, fishing, boating, reading, tap dancing, and being with family and friends.
He is survived by his daughter, Susan Harding (Vic Pelster) of Colorado Springs; son, Mark (Vee Ann) Miller of Aurora; grandchildren, Paige Harding (Justin Sitzman), Pamela (Andy) Rath, Jordan Miller, Anna Miller; great- grandchildren, Hailey and Oakley Simons; step-niece Susan Anderson.
A celebration of Dean’s life will be held at 11:00 a.m. Saturday, February 3, 2018 at Holt Funeral Home, interment at Mountain Vale Cemetery, followed by reception to be held at First United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall.